Friday, June 9, 2017

One Day

Lately I have been feeling in many ways like a hypocrite. I walk around with a smile on my face while I'm crying inside. I have the words courage and strength permanently tattooed on my arm. When I am asked how I am doing I always say that I am well. My whole life I have taught myself to hide my pain. I have mastered the art of masking my true feelings. I am cheerful, bubbly, happy-go-lucky Meg. Don't get me wrong, many times I am doing well. I am excited to be around my friends and family, so my mood is gleeful. I am also a firm believer in a positive attitude producing a positive lifestyle. My trouble is finding the balance. I also struggle with feeling like a burden. I'm already the "sick girl". I would hate to turn into the "whiny sick girl". I am working on it though.

During my many hours at the hospital, I have had time to deeply think about the meaning behind the words courage and strength. These are extremely powerful and harmonious words. It's fascinating how two words can have such an impact on someone's life. I've realized that we should never be afraid of a scar. They simply mean we are stronger than whatever tried to hurt us. That scar is a symbol, a physical manifestation, of our courage and strength. We should wear our scars proudly! These words have such significance to me that they inspired me to write a poem to encourage myself and others to face challenges without fear, but with confidence.

It takes strength to be firm
It takes courage to be gentle

It takes strength to endure abuse
It takes courage to stop it

It takes strength to hold our heads high
It takes courage to break down and cry

It take strength to stand alone
It takes courage to lean on another

It takes strength to love
It takes courage to be loved

It takes strength to survive
It takes courage to live

Most importantly remember,
Maybe not today,
Or tomorrow,
Or even in a year,
But eventually,
Things will get better,
You will get better,
You will be able to look back,
And say with relief;
I MADE IT!!

Be bold, be brace, be fearless and be adventurous because you are fierce!! Don't let anyone tell you anything different!!

No comments:

Post a Comment